English Speaking Multiracial Church In Kenya
Written by MaureenK on May 30, 2022
Christ Is the Answer Ministries (CITAM) formerly known as Nairobi Pentecostal Church was established in 1959, as a ministry of Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada (PAOC). The history of the church dates back to 1952 when Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, John McBride came to Nairobi with a mission to establish a church that is rooted in sound Christian worship.
The first church was a small assembly of around thirty congregants who consisted of Europeans and Canadians. The first service was held at the Rahimullah building opposite the famous Jeevanjee gardens. He later established the first Nairobi Evangelistic Centre at valley road in 1960 and in October of the same year the sanctuary was consecrated.
The decision to establish the church was born out of the need to have a church that could accommodate English-speaking multiracial individuals. The name was then changed to Nairobi Pentecostal Church in the 1970s under the guidance of Rev. Mervyn Thomas who is also credited with writing the church’s first constitution and logo design.
There was commendable growth in the 80s and it is also the first time when they handed over the church to its first African bishop, Adoyo Nairobi Pentecostal Church changed its name to Christ is the Answer Ministries (CITAM) back in 2003 and registered as an autonomous independent entity under the Societies Act of Kenya.
The name was drawn from their slogan “Christ is the answer” the church has continued to grow with over 30,000 congregants attending the Sunday services and has established educational institutions and a media house, to help spread the word of the lord further.